The role of Technical Sales Manager is to manage a sales area (territory or division), maintain current customer base, prospect and develop new customer opportunities, achieve quarterly sales targets and increase market share in sales area. This position requires a well-organized, self-starting individual with the appropriate technical (chemistry) background. This position requires a personal vehicle, ability to travel domestically when necessary and willingness to entertain customers.
- Call on and service APPC customers in a specified territory or division as defined by the sales manager
- Promote APPC lubricant and fuel additives
- Recommend product pricing to sales manager for approval
- Follow-up with customer on shipments and product satisfaction
- Gather competitive product information
- Prospect territory for new customers
- Qualify potential new customers as to credit worthiness
- Maintain and grow current customer base
- Develop and close new profitable sales opportunities
- Prepare action plans and schedules to identify target accounts
- Prepare for customer calls by pre planning and creating an agenda for each call
- Maintain a record of each customer call with result and plan forward
- Maintain a forward-looking calendar for customer visits
- Additional tasks as assigned
- Provide technical (chemical) support to customers
- Provide technical information on new products and industry specification changes
- Advise on correct use of APPC Products
- Provide inside sales and technical support for APPC house accounts
- Develop and maintain sales materials and product knowledge.
- Prepare a variety of status reports, including activity, closings and adherence to goals as well as technicalreports.
- Maintain an updated understanding of industry specific equipment and lubricant applications
- Lead problem solving for customer technical or logistical issues
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Work effectively independently
- Communicate effectively with all customers, suppliers and APPC employees including technical staff,production employees, procurement team, customer services team, sales team, management, operations and suppliers and customers by means of most effective technology or in-person meetings.
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Education and Experience
- Technical Degree from an Accredited University
- BS in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering Preferred
- 5 Years minimum experience in Technical Sales or similar experience
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Seek education and research in order to stay relevant with latest industry trends, management practices and technical information.
- Attend trade meetings and industry conventions.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working understanding and experience in using Microsoft: Excel, PowerPoint and Word programs
- Familiarity with and ability to learn business management software (SAP, Chempax, etc.)
- Information management – Run reports, analyze data and manage various types of information in variousformats
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, utilize hand and finger dexterity, talk or hear.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet; moderate.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision; color vision; depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Theaboveisintendedtodescribethegeneralcontentofandrequirementsfortheperformanceofthisjob. Itisnot to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Allegheny Petroleum Products Company is an EEO employer/AA/M/F/Vets/Disability
Please download the Employee EEO Self-Identification Form and fill it out. This is optional.
EEO Self ID
Click the Apply Now button and attach your cover letter, resume and the EEO Self ID form (optional).